Vitrine N.jpg


The 18th Century

The de Lorimier Family

Marguerite Chorel de Saint-Romain, owner

After sitting empty for some time, the house was acquired by François Chorel de Saint-Romain for his daughter Marguerite, who settled there with her husband Guillaume de Lorimier in January 1695. The couple planned to make their living by farming the sizeable acreage behind the house, part of which was still forested. The property belonged to Marguerite Chorel de Saint- Romain. The de Lorimiers and their children and grandchildren lived on the site until the colony was conquered by the British.

Guillaume de Lorimier, originally from Paris, born commanded Fort Rolland in Lachine from 1700 to 1705. He was buried in Montréal on July 29, 1709. He and his wife Marguerite Chorel de Saint-Romain had their first child baptized in Montréal on March 17, 1697. Their other children were born in Lachine, in 1700, 1702 and 1705.

Marguerite Chorel de Saint-Romain, born commanded Fort Rolland in Lachine from 1700 in 1670, married Guillaume de Lorimier on January 27, 1695. She acquired title to Maison LeBer-LeMoyne a few years later as part of the dowry promised by her father, a prominent fur trader in the Trois-Rivières region.

N display case

Maquette of the first stone church in the Saints-Anges de Lachine parish, built in 1703 

The foundations of this church were unearthed during archaeological excavations. Located one kilometre east of Maison LeBer-LeMoyne, in a LaSalle borough park, they are available to visitors.

Maquette made by Lucien Bourgault Anonymous gift RE-1940-001-1.6

O ground

View of the cellar staircase

The cellar occupies just over half of the Maison’s west basement. It is believed to have been fitted out for storing trade goods. The photo shows an interesting cellar detail: an arch that supports the fireplace.

The de Lorimier Children

Marguerite Chorel de Saint-Romain was widowed in 1709. In 1730, she deeded part of the property to her son Claude Nicolas Guillaume de Lorimier, a military officer. Assigned to the Great Lakes region during the first half of his career, he commanded the Île Perrot post in 1747 and the Lac-des-Deux-Montagnes garrison from 1749 to 1751. He and his wife had ten children.

In 1736, Marguerite transferred a second portion of the property to her daughter Marie-Jeanne de Lorimier, who married Joachim de Sacquespée that year. He, too, was a military officer and, in his absence, Marie-Jeanne ran the house, raised their three children and looked after the finances. She hired Pierre Lecompte dit Lafleur and his wife to plow and sow the land in 1755.

Claude Nicolas Guillaume de Lorimier was born in Lachine on May 20, 1705. After his marriage to Louise Lepailleur on January 7, 1730, they occupied the eastern half of the house, while his mother retained the western half. They later built a separate home on the southeast part of the land. Claude died in Lachine in 1770. In 1776, his widow saw their farm ravaged in reprisal for one of her sons leading a band of First Nations against the invading Americans.

Marie-Jeanne de Lorimier was born in Lachine on September 9, 1702. She gave birth to a child of unknown father on February 16, 1724, at the age of 22, and did not marry until she was 34. She died in Lachine on May 11, 1765.

Joachim de Sacquespée commanded the garrison at Châteauguay in 1747, at Fort Frontenac (now Kingston, Ontario) in 1749 and at Fort Saint-Jean in 1755. He also had a hand in the fur trade with a merchant partner. He died in Montréal in 1767.