View of the original ﬁreplace hearth
The sunken hearth of the original ﬁreplace and the Maison’s east wall are of similar construction. Both were built around 1669-1670. When major renovations were done in 1768, the chimney was demolished and replaced by a narrower one.
Metal. Handcrafted, with a long handle for cooking in the ﬁreplace without burning one’s hands. Anonymous gift RC-1980-L47-6
View of the Maison’s original paving stone ﬂoor. The stone paving found under the existing wood ﬂoor was probably laid when the house was built in the 17th century. The extent of the stone has not yet been determined, but it is likely that the perimeter of the ﬂoor and the doorsills were paved, consistent with early French techniques. The paving was covered over during major renovations in 1768.