Étage F.jpg

F DISPLAY CASE

1. Dawes jug

Stoneware and metal. Jug with an iron handle attached at the neck. At the base, a small pierced extrusion with a cork stopper serves as a tap. Impressed on the tap: “PATENT.” The upper part of the jug is dark mustard yellow, the lower two thirds are beige. Transfer-printed in blue within a circle: “DAWES & Co. BREWERS LACHINE, P.Q.”

Anonymous gift RG-2000-023


2. Water pitcher fragments

Refined white earthenware, 1850-1900. Transfer-printed blue floral decoration. Toilet article. England. AR-1999-408


3. Bowl fragments

Refined red earthenware with clear glaze, about 1861. Decorative grooves and waves incised during throwing on the wheel. AR-2000-409


4. Cup or jar fragments (8)

Mason ironstone, 19th century, after 1813. Includes fragments of a slightly flared rim. Transfer-printed blue floral decoration, interior and exterior. England. AR-1998-215


5. Cup rim fragment

Refined white earthenware, 19th century. Painted blue band on rim, outer body finished with multicoloured sand. Tableware. England. AR-2000-216


6. Lid knob

Refined white earthenware, 19th century. Rectangular knob with banded moulding and transfer-printed blue decoration. Serving dish. AR-1998-241


7. Plate fragments

Refined white earthenware, 19th century. Painted multicolour motifs (blue, orange, yellow, brown and green) on the plate well fragment, which is relatively thick. The smaller shard is from the thinner rim. England.

AR-2000-242


8. Teapot lid fragment

Jackfield ware, 19th century. Fragment of the flanged top. England.

AR-2000-243


9. Container fragment

Refined white earthenware, 19th century. Painted green ear-of-corn motif. England. AR-2000-244


10. Comb

Bone, 19th century. Toilet article. Incomplete, teeth missing.

AR-1999-213


11. Thimble

Copper alloy, 19th century. Lower half is smooth-sided. AR-2000-115


12. Annular fragment, threaded

Bone, 18th century. Tube with interior threading. Fragment of a needle holder (?). AR-2000-214

13. Serving platter

Refined white earthenware, 1853. The grooves forming a stylized plant motif in the well serve to drain away meat juices. The rim is decorated with a blue band. In the centre, also in blue, the coat of arms of the Hudson’s Bay Company, ringed with a belt. On the shield, a cross with a beaver in each corner. Above the shield, a cap of a peculiar shape with a turned-up brim that shows the ermine lining. On it sits a fox. The shield is supported on either side by an elk. The Latin motto “Pro pelle cutem” inscribed on a ribbon under the shield translates literally as “For a pelt, a skin.” The four beavers symbolize the fur trade, the Company’s primary business. On the back, transfer-printed in blue: “HBC” and a crown-shaped stamp, above which a partially legible inscription (possibly “H.B.C.”). The date marks in a lozenge indicate January 3, 1853.


Gift of J. B. Galbraith, whose father worked for the Hudson’s Bay Company RV-1974-L4-7